Residents warned after dishwasher fire
Homeowners have been warned about the dangers of leaving domestic appliances unattended following a house fire in Reading this morning.
Crews were called to a property in Wickham Road, Lower Earley, at around 11am, to deal with a kitchen fire. According to a report by GetWokingham.co.uk, the blaze started after a dishwasher in the house developed a fault and caught fire.
The three occupants of the house, a husband and wife, and their son, managed to escape before firefighters arrived. No one was seriously injured in the incident, although one resident had to be checked over by paramedics after inhaling smoke. The property suffered considerable smoke damage however and it took two hours for rescuers to extinguish the blaze completely.
A spokesman for the fire brigade said: "We get called to a lot of fires caused by dishwashers and tumble dryers - people must make sure they do not leave them on or put them on during the night."
A report by the Reading Chronicle said the house was not fitted with smoke alarms, leading to a separate reminder that all homes should be fitted with working alarms, which must be tested regularly.