Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service has reminded residents to take particular care when cooking at home.
The warning follows a spate of kitchen fires which have broken out in the Runcorn area over recent weeks. According to a report by the Runcorn and Widnes World, firefighters have been called to attend three separate blazes in the past two weeks where ovens were left unattended and a fire started as a result.
Although no one was seriously hurt in the incidents, damage was caused to the properties, and occupants needed to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation. It has prompted the fire service to speak out and issue a general warning to homeowners, reminding them to take all necessary safety precautions when preparing food.
Sean Henshaw, manager of Runcorn Fire Station, told the newspaper: "I cannot stress enough the danger of leaving cooking on the hob and then leaving the kitchen.
"All too often we are called out to fires which have been started by cooking being left unattended. Cooking related fires account for the majority of incidents we are called to. It is very easy to be distracted when cooking but, sadly, it is very easy for fires to take hold in the kitchen."
Homeowners are also advised not to leave domestic appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers on overnight, or during the day when no one is in the property.