Don't leave objects on hot hobs, warn firefighters

Post by Kevin on 18th August 2011 in

Don't leave objects on hot hobs, warn firefighters
Firefighters are warning householders to be careful with their kitchen appliances after a chopping board left on a hob caused a fire in at a house in Crewe. 
 
There was no one home at the time, but fortunately for the homeowner, a neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called the emergency services.
 
Fire crews found only smoke damage in the kitchen, but said the situation could have been far worse. 
 
Alex Waller, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s unitary performance manager, told the Crewe And Nantwich Guardian: "Unattended cookers or objects left on or near a hot hob are the biggest cause of accidental house fires and they can have very serious consequences.
 
"For that reason people should never leave a hob or grill unattended under any circumstances and always switch them off after use.
 
"The incident shows how important working smoke alarms are – this one has protected this home and its contents from serious damage from this fire."

Related articles: