Firefighters issue dishwasher warning
Firefighters in Cambridgeshire are urging local residents to check their dishwashers after two faulty dishwashers caught fire on the same day.
According to the Peterborough Telegraph, firefighters in the county have been called to deal with six dishwasher-related fires in the last five months. Residents are now being asked to ensure their dishwashers are checked for defects regularly.
"Like a car, electrical appliances need to be regularly checked so any possible defects can be spotted early, such as black burning marks around the plug, loose cables or any snags in the casing exposing wires," said station commander Dave Allen.
"We also advise not using dishwashers when you are sleeping or if you leave the house as any fire will take longer to discover and damage will be greater," he added.
Mr Allen also recommended testing that smoke alarms were in full working order simply by pressing the test button.