Firefighters Issue a Safety Warning After Tumble Dryer Fire

Post by George Dixon on 21st March 2016 in Appliance safety

Firefighters Issue a Safety Warning After Tumble Dryer Fire
Washing and drying clothes may seem like a fairly routine household chore, but one Mum and her two children were given a shock when their tumble dryer caught fire in their home in Finchley recently.
 
The fire broke out from the appliance at around 6:30pm and a total of 21 firefighters – and 4 engines – were called to the family home in an attempt to control the blaze. It took just over half an hour for the fire brigade to bring the fire under control, by which time it is estimated that the fire had caused damage to around 50 per cent of the ground floor of the property.
 
Charlie Pugsley, the Head of Fire Investigation at the London Fire Brigade said that the family had had “a very lucky escape” as they had reacted to the smoke coming from the appliance before the fire had the opportunity to spread throughout the house.
 
“Nearly one fire a day in London involves white goods such as dishwashers, washer-dryers and fridge freezers”, Mr Pugsley continued. “In around 90 per cent of these fires it is down to the machine and the electrical supply rather than human behaviour.”
 
The London Fire Brigade are currently working on a nationwide campaign to introduce a free and accessible register of recalled products so that families can avoid risks by purchasing faulty goods that later catch fire.
 
Mr Pugsley went on to explain that “the current system is ineffective with only 10 to 20 per cent of products actually being returned to the stores and manufacturers, or repaired. Furthermore, some faulty products remain in circulation on the second-hand goods market or auction websites.”
 

Related articles: