Gas fitter prosecuted over dangerous boiler work

Post by Tom Williams on 14th March 2016 in Appliance safety

Gas fitter prosecuted over dangerous boiler work
A gas fitter from Devon put himself and others at risk from exposure to asbestos during boiler replacement work, a court heard last week.
 
Barnstaple Magistrates' Court was told that 58-year-old Brian Hockin disturbed asbestos insulation board while removing a warm air heating system at a home in Wrafton. The board surrounded the boiler which he was in the process of removing.
 
Although Mr Hockin was warned by the property's tenants that he had disturbed asbestos, he continued to remove the material from the home and bag it up, eventually storing it at his yard.
 
"Brian Hockin’s negligence could result in serious health effects to both him and anyone else who may have come into contact with the asbestos material that he disturbed," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Simon Jones.
 
Mr Hockin pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety legislation. He was fined £450 and ordered to pay costs of £921.40.

Related articles: