Landlord fined over gas safety failings

Post by Kevin Jackson on 20th October 2015 in Appliance safety

Landlord fined over gas safety failings
A Bedford landlord has been hit with a fine after a gas appliance at a property he rented out was found to be defective and dangerous.
 
In February this year, the tenants living at Ashby Bedeau's property in Bedford's Rutland Road contacted the gas helpline after feeling ill. An engineer subsequently attended, discovered carbon monoxide and shut off the gas supply.
 
The tenants were sent to hospital, and it was then discovered that a gas hob was faulty. Engineers from British Gas declared the hob immediately dangerous and capped it off.
 
Luton Magistrates' Court heard last week that Mr Bedeau had not arranged for the gas hob to be checked in January 2015, as he was legally obliged to do. He admitted to breaching gas safety regulations and was fined £265 with costs of £845.

Related articles: