Landlord fined over gas safety failures

Post by Tom Williams on 30th September 2015 in Appliance safety

Landlord fined over gas safety failures
A landlord from Torquay has been fined after it was found that his failure to arrange annual gas safety checks had put his tenants' lives at risk.
 
In a hearing at Torquay Magistrates' Court, John Marshall was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,686.50. Inquiries began after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was alerted to the lack of a gas safety certificate by a tenant at the property on Belgrave Road.
 
It emerged that Torbay Council had been asking Mr Marshall for a copy of his gas safety record since 2008 but had not received one. He also failed to provide a copy of the record to HSE when it was requested, before he was served with an improvement notice in 2014.
 
"Landlords have a legal duty to carry out annual gas safety checks which are there to protect their tenants from death or injury," said HSE inspector Simon Jones. "In this case, Mr Marshall ignored repeated requests to carry out the checks and to provide a copy of the safety record."

Related articles: